The Department of Graduate Medical Education is an important component to UT Health’s mission, which is “to serve Northeast Texas and beyond through excellent patient care and community health, comprehensive education, and innovative research.” Our purpose is to provide medical graduates with exceptional residency training programs that comply with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Training Tomorrow’s Leaders in Healthcare
UT Health offers three ACGME approved graduate medical residency programs, including family medicine, occupational medicine, and internal medicine. The Department of Graduate Medical Education also consists of a sports medicine fellowship and a psychology internship.
Providing Quality Education
The Director of Medical Education and the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) oversee all residency programs at UT Health Northeast. The GMEC supervises, coordinates, reviews, and assures quality education of all graduate medical education programs. Responsibilities of the GMEC include:
- Establishing policies that apply to all graduate medical education programs.
- Maintaining appropriate oversight of and liaison with program directors and assuring that program directors establish and maintain proper oversight of and liaison with appropriate personnel of other institutions.
- Monitoring of programs and establishing an appropriate work environment and the duty hours of residents.
- Assuring an educational environment in which residents may raise and resolve issues without fear of intimidation or retaliation.
- Regularly reviewing all ACGME letters of accreditation and developing and monitoring action plans for the correction of citations.
- Conducting internal reviews of all graduate medical education programs.
- Assuring that each residency program establishes and implements formal written criteria and processes for the selection, evaluation, and promotion and dismissal of residents.
- Collecting intra-institutional information and making recommendations on the appropriate funding for residency programs.
Jonathan MacClements, M.D., F.A.A.F.P.
Director of Medical Education, Chairman of the GMEC
Peggy Pazos, BS, C-TAGME
Manager, Graduate Medical Education
- About Us
- Patient Care
- Physician Finder
- Patient & Visitor Guide