Pneumonia & the Vaccine: Clearing Up the Confusion
January 17, 2015
Despite the fact that there are vaccines that are very effective against most types of pneumonia, every year millions get sick from the disease and about 40,000 die. At HealthConnection.TV, UT Health Northeast physician assistant Gerry Brown answers questions and clears up confusion regarding pneumonia vaccine.
- What is pneumonia and how serious is it?
- What are the symptoms of pneumonia?
- Is there a difference between pneumonia and what is commonly called walking pneumonia?
- Let's clear up some confusion about vaccinations. When should children be vaccinated for pneumonia?
- What about adults? When and how often should they get a pneumonia vaccination?
- Is there more than one pneumonia vaccine?
- How do you know which one you've had and which one you need to get?
- How effective are pneumonia vaccines?
- Does the pneumonia vaccine have side effects for either children or adults?
- Are some people at higher risk for pneumonia?
- Are there common-sense steps you can take to avoid getting pneumonia?