Birth Control: The Basics
July 29, 2013
The pill, the patch, the shot, barrier methods. There are lots of choices when it comes to birth control. In our latest post to HealthConnection, UT Health Northeast family medicine expert Dr. Stephanie Tyo answers questions about the best birth control choices for you.
- What are the different types of birth control available today?
- What is the most common form of birth control?
- With respect to birth control pills, how much effectiveness is lost if you miss a day?
- Is there a best method for birth control?
- How do you determine which form of birth control is the best choice?
- What about the risks for the most common forms of birth control?
- What birth control methods prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs)?
- How soon after delivering a baby can a woman again become pregnant?
- What should a woman beginning perimenopause or even in menopause do with respect to birth control?
- What does the future hold for birth control — are there any new advances or changes on the horizon?