Bronchiectasis: When A Cough Becomes Chronic and Productive
November 4, 2012
When a cough becomes chronic and productive, when lower respiratory infections become frequent, the culprit may be a disease known as bronchiectasis. In some cases, bronchiectasis is congenital. But it most commonly arises as a complication of other diseases or from environmental exposures. Pulmonology specialist Dr. William Girard answers questions about bronchiectasis in this post to HealthConnection.
- What is bronchiectasis and what causes it?
- How is bronchiectasis different from other lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis or pulmonary fibrosis?
- Is bronchiectasis progressive like other lung diseases such as COPD?
- Why are women more prone to bronchiectasis than men?
- What are the symptoms of bronchiectasis?
- How is bronchiectasis diagnosed?
- How is bronchiectasis treated?
- Can bronchiectasis be prevented?