Fish Oil Supplements: Friend or Foe?
November 17, 2013
For men taking fish oil supplements, it came as quite a surprise to hear that there might be a link between the capsules and prostate cancer. UT Health Northeast expert pharmacist Vince Alibrando gets to the straight scoop on fish oil supplements in this post to HealthConnection.
- What is an omega-3 fatty acid?
- What are the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids?
- It came as a surprise in the summer of 2013 when the news came out linking fish oil supplements to an increased risk for prostate cancer. What happend?
- What foods contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids?
- How often should we eat foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids?
- We know that omega-3 fatty acids are best obtained from food. But is there any reason not to take fish oil supplements in the quest to obtain omega-3s?
- If one chooses to take fish oil supplements, or if they are recommended by a physician, what should one look for when choosing a brand?
- What difference does it make to the body in taking fish oil supplements versus eating foods high in omega-3 fatty acids? Isn’t it all the same?