(These comments pertain to UTHCT’s Ovid system and PubMed. Every point may not apply to systems at other sites.)
- Allows easy limitation to Local Holdings or Full Text.
- Other limits (i.e. language, human, etc.) are easily accessible on main search page.
- Provides possible MeSH (National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings) terms when searched terms are not MeSH terms.
- Local Messages indicate if the Library has the journal that an article is located in.
- Local Messages include hypertext links to the Library’s electronic journal list.
- Search strategies may be easily transferred to Ovid CINAHL.
- Database updates are behind PubMed.
- Available only to authorized UTHCT users.
- Rapid database updates.
- Related Articles feature.
- LinkOut provides linking to available full-text of articles and to print holdings information (UTHCT users only).
- Links to free full-text when available.
- Links to genetics and biomolecular databases.
- Includes MeSH Database function for identifying NLM Medical Subject Headings.
- Search can be limited to subsets such as Core Clinical Journals, Nursing Journals, Cancer Journals, AIDS, and others.
- Available to the general public via any ISP (internet service provider). (Does not include LinkOut links to subscribed journals.)
- Proprietary links to journals are confusing if no subscription is held.
- Full-text limitation available but not straightforward.
- No on-screen instructions for Boolean search syntax.