Celiac Disease: Crazy New Fad or Serious Disorder?
March 12, 2016
A few years ago, very few of us had ever heard of celiac disease or gluten-free diets. Now it seems like the subjects come up everywhere we go. So what’s going on? Is celiac disease a fad or is it a serious disorder on the rise? In this post to HealthConnection.TV, UT Health Northeast family medicine expert Dr. Patti Olusola answers questions about celiac disease.
- We hear a lot in the media about gluten and celiac disease, but not long ago, we didn't hear much about either one. Let's start then with a definitinon: what is gluten?
- What is celiac disease and how serious is it?
- A few years ago, most people had never heard of gluten allergies and celiac disease. Where did these concerns come from?
- What are the symptoms of celiac disease?
- Are we simply more aware today of celiac disease or is it really on the rise?
- Are there factors that can increase the risk for developing celiac disease?
- What are the symptoms for an intolerance to gluten, and are they different in childen and adults?
- How is celiac disease diagnosed?
- Is celiac disease treated with medication, managed with diet or both?
- Can celiac disease be cured?