Weight Loss: FDA-approved Weight Loss Drugs
August 26, 2012
For the first time in many years, the FDA has approved two new medications for use in promoting weight loss. Physician Assistant Gerald Brown from UT Health answers questions about these medications in this post to HealthConnection.
- The FDA has approved the release of two new diet drugs. What are they and how do the work?
- Who will be approved to take these new drugs?
- Who should not take them?
- Are these new medications safe?
- The FDA has not approved new diet drugs in over a decade. Why were these medications approved?
- Among the problems with prior weight loss medications was that of rebound weight gain. Will that be a problem with these new medications as well?
- When will these new medications be available in pharmacies?
- If someone is considering asking his or her provider to prescribe either of these new drugs, what should be considered first?